Tips for the newly single looking for love: make sure you look in all the right places
By Dr. Dorree Lynn
Are you back in the dating scene and feeling a bit overwhelmed? Relax. Step 1: Breathe. Step 2: Don’t panic. This is an exciting adventure! You’re about to learn new things about yourself as you start a new life and make new friends.
One of the best ways to start is to pursue your personal interests. Don’t just go somewhere you think you might meet that dreamy person you’re looking for; instead, go to places where you might meet someone with similar interests and build a friendship or relationship on common ground. Besides, when you discover activities that spark your passion, you will more likely have a good time, feel good about yourself, and become a more passionate lover when you find your next partner!
8 Ways to Get Your Creative Juices Flowing:
• Attend group activities that make you feel accomplished: Art classes, book clubs, cooking classes, just-for-fun sports leagues. Craigslist is a great resource for community activities.
• Yoga classes: Yoga is a great, low-impact exercise, and yoga centers typically nurture unique bonds and friendships between people of all backgrounds and interests.
• Volunteer: Community centers, hospitals and nonprofit organizations are always in need of good help, and they offer you a chance to get out in the world where you can meet new people.
• Local media: Newspapers, online forums and sites, and community ’zines. Typically you can find fun, inexpensive events that are great to bring a wingman or a sidekick along.
• Follow your real interests. If you’re a jogger, join a jogging group. If you enjoy museums, then go to museums. There are groups for almost every interest in most cities.
• Churches and temples: Go anywhere that has a sense of community, even if you are not religious or not a member.
• Network with friends and groups: Don’t limit yourself to singles groups. Married people often have single friends! Network wherever you happen to be.
• Online dating: With all the advances in social technology, perhaps there’s a blast from the past with a history the two of you can rekindle. Go surfing online for the next great catch (check out www.meetup.com).
The best way to find a new partner is to tell the people who know you best that you are in the market. Assure your old buddies and new friends that their task is solely to introduce you to potential dates and that you won’t hold them responsible for the outcome. This is not the time to be shy or too proud. Keeping your desires a secret stops other people from helping you. Do you really want to sit at home alone for the rest of your life?