Toe Tips: Getting a Pedicure
It’s summer. Summer means sandals, and sandals mean exposed toes. I don’t know about you, but it’s not as easy to get down there and paint my own toenails as it once was! The occasional pedicure is an easy way to feel pampered and refreshed without breaking the bank. Plus, unlike manicures, pedicures usually last at least a month.
Here are some tips on getting your toes done:
- Find a salon that fits your style. You want to feel comfortable when going to get a pedicure. If the environment or the price is not right, you may end up feeling apprehensive which defeats the purpose of this relaxing activity. Call around beforehand to check pricing. You may even want to pop in and look around the salon before committing to it. Whether you feel more at home with a $60 job that comes with a flute of champagne or a quick and efficient pedi at half the price, do a little research to make sure you find the right place for you.
- BYOP (Bringing Your Own Polish). If you already have the color you want, bring it along with you. Just don’t forget to put your name on the bottle and make sure that you leave with it. I’ve “donated” several bottles to my local salon by not labeling them and forgetting to take them home.
- Wear sandals. Wear sandals to your appointment and be sure that they are easy to take on an off. The foam flops that salons provide often break while walking across the parking lot and you don’t want to mess up your pedi before it dries.
- Sport shorts or a skirt. If you must wear pants, pick out a pair that can be easily rolled up. Most pedicures involve a warm bath for your feet and some sort of scrub or lotion that gets rubbed up to your knee.
- Avoid the rush. Make an appointment or go at an off time – like a weekday morning instead of Saturday afternoon.
Unless you want to get lost in a magazine or your own thoughts, getting a pedicure is an ideal activity for inviting a friend along. Also, for the more progressive Pop-pops out there, pedicures are not just for the ladies anymore. More men these days are taking advantage of the massage chair and refreshing footbath that comes with having their toenails trimmed. So grab a friend, get glamorous and show off those toes!