Listening to grandmas talk about some of their challenges inspired me to write a book on how to deal with those challenges. When I got ready to write it, I thought it was equally important to hear the mom’s perspective about the grandparent relationship. So I surveyed moms and included what they had to say as well. My hope is that by sharing both perspectives, moms and grandmas can have more respect and empathy for each other.
My book is a practical guide to help you deal with some of your most common challenges:
- Understanding today’s modern parenting methods
- Building satisfying relationships with your grandchild’s parents
- Coping with feelings of being unappreciated or left out
The most common areas of conflict that moms reported with grandparents are:
- Overindulging grandchildren with sugar, junk food, television, and gifts
- Not following the parents’ rules
- Questioning the parents’ decisions
We all know that parenting and grandparenting present challenges. When Being a Grandma Isn’t So Grand: 4 Keys to L.O.V.E. Your Grandchild’s Parents addresses some of those challenges and can be a starting point for helping you explore solutions for handling them.