Oh, fall—the season of gift buying, turkey dinners, and annual visits from grandkids, parents and in-laws.
If you’re feeling anxious about cash flow and keeping visiting relatives entertained, don’t worry. You’re not alone, and whether your relatives are coming to visit for a night, a weekend, or a week, we have five cash saving, parent-impressing ideas just for you:
1) Create your own city tour—Take your relatives on a dumpling crawl of Chinatown or a trip to your favorite indie shops—show them what makes you love this place you call home.
2) Learn something—Do your guests have a passion for wines or a curiosity for the arts? Find a local wine tasting or arts class—spend some quality time together, while enjoying things you already love.
3) Go see a show—Whether you live in the big city or in the middle of America, there are always dozens of plays, comedy shows and concerts to enjoy. Use a site like Goldstar.com to find half-price tickets in your budget and treat your guests to a night out, for less.
4) Just ask—Before they come to town, ask what they want to see most—it will save you from spending money on things that don’t interest them, and give you a chance to budget for what they like most.
5) Take a break from hosting—As much as they love you, even relatives may want some alone time to explore. Give your guests the gift of local insight with a homemade city guide, detailing all the places they should go visit… on their own.
Get a free gift of GRAND Magazine ($19.95 value) click here: