By Gramma Good
Seeing animals outside of their natural environment can be sad to many, but there are a few special zoos that make the experience educational and fun. I’d like to be your guide through the top-five zoos in the United States (by U.S. Travel Guide).
1. Columbus Zoo in Columbus, Ohio.
This zoo has a worldwide reputation, and is arguably America’s favorite. It is the aspiration of all the traditional zoos and has 7,000 animals, a water park, amusement park and golf course! Admission is $24.
2. San Diego Zoo in San Diego, California
It is a giant zoo. Its commitment to the protection of its animals makes it on a par with the Columbus Zoo. It has “cage-less” exhibits, open-air attractions and 4,000 varieties of animals. It is known as the most modern of zoos. The must see is the giant panda exhibit. I have been there and if I were an animal I would love the address of the San Diego Zoo. Admission is $35.
3. Lion Country in West Palm Beach, Florida
It is a drive-through zoo and “the original open-road animal attraction.” It is still the best. You enter in your own car and drive through 5-plus miles at your own pace. It is almost like being on an African Safari. The lions and chimps are behind fences but the other animal like the zebras and giraffes roam freely. At the end of the drive is Safari World. Admission is: $24.00
4. Phoenix Zoo in Phoenix, Arizona
It is the largest non-profit zoo in the United States. They say it is a must for family vacations. It is more than 120 acres and has four long trails that cover the wild life of Africa and other parts of the world. There is a stingray tank where you can touch the stingrays. And you are allowed to bike or roller blade through the park. Admission is $16.
5. Fort Worth Zoo in Fort Worth, Texas
It was built in 1909. It has been noted by Family Life, the Los Angeles Times and USA today as the top zoo in America. It is well rounded with 350 different animals from every continent it is also noted for its flora and fauna of the LoneStarState. Admission is $12.
I am going to mention the other top five rounding out the list to 10, because I have really enjoyed writing this blog. Writing about these zoos has peaked my fancy to visit them when I am in the vicinity. I have grandchildren in Phoenix and you can bet …we are going to the zoo. Maybe on bikes!
The remainder of the list of top zoos is:
6. Houston Zoo in Houston, Texas
7. Cincinnati Zoo in Cincinnati, Ohio
8. Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Florida
9. Philadelphia Zoo in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10. Audubon Zoo in New Orleans, Louisiana
Do Something GOOD Today: Protect one of God’s greatest gifts by thinking and acting on ways to conserve our natural habitat for the beautiful animals of this earth.
- See more at: http://grammagood.com/top-5-zoos-families/?utm_source=Gramma+Good+Friends&utm_campaign=c7274aa7df-zoos&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3c89c726c4-c7274aa7df-53205417#sthash.J3fHAnkB.dpuf