Caregiver Helper Resources

1) National organizations

Administration on Aging, Grandparents Resources

Administration on Aging, Center for Communication and Consumer Services/DHHS, 200 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20201; 202-619-0724;;

Addresses issues involving three generations of grandparents raising grandchildren: themselves, their children and the grandchildren.

American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) Foundation, Grandparent Information Center (GIC)

601 E St. NW, Wash., DC 20049; 888-687-2277;;

Helps grandparents cope with their parenting role; answers questions. Membership in AARP not required; Spanish available.

Association of Administrators of the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC)

American Public Human Services Association; 810 First Street, NE, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20002; 202-682-0100;

Requires certain procedures in the interstate placement of children being adopted, placed with relatives, or entering residential care or foster family homes.

The Brookdale Foundation

950 Third Ave., 19th Floor, New York, NY 10022; 212-308-7355;;

Relatives as Parents Program (RAPP) provides services for grandparents and other caregivers.

Casey Family Programs

1300 Dexter Avenue North , Floor 3, Seattle, WA 98109-3542; 206-282-7300;

Provides an array of services for children and youth, with foster care as its core. Services include adoption, guardianship, kinship care and family reunification.

Center for Child and Family Programs (CCFP)

Institute for the Study of Children, Families and Communities/CCFP, 203 Boone Hall, Ypsilanti, MI 48197; 734-487-0372;

Shapes local, state and national child/family policies; conducts research, demonstrates new models of service, develops training curricula and develops policy recommendations.

Center for Family Connections ( CFFC)

350 Cambridge Street , Cambridge, MA 02141 ; 617-547-0909 or 800-KINNECT;;

Provides services for individuals and families touched by adoption, foster care, kinship and guardianship.

Child Welfare Information Gateway

Children’s Bureau/ACYF, 1250 Maryland Avenue, SW, Eighth Floor, Washington, DC 20024; 703-385-7565 or 800-394-3366;;

Connects professionals and the general public to resources for children and families.

Child Welfare League of America (CWLA)

2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 250 , Arlington, VA 22202 ; (p) 703-412-2400; (f) 703-412-2401;

One of the oldest organizations dedicated to family welfare.

Children of Alcoholics Foundation (COAF)

164 West 74th St. , New York, NY 10023 ; 646-505-2060;;

An affiliate of Phoenix House; offers assistance on kinship care.

Children’s Defense Fund

25 E St. NW, Washington, DC 20001; 202-628-8787 or 800-233-1200;;

Particular emphasis on poor, minority, and disabled children.

DNA Services of America

1507 Kaliste Saloom Rd. , Suite D, Lafayette, LA 70508; 866-436-2762;;

Provides DNA services to those who need answers to important questions that can be resolved through DNA testing.

Florida Kinship Center (FKC)

Florida Kinship Center at USF School of Social Work, 4202 E. Fowler Ave., MGY 132, Tampa, FL 33620; 813-974-1328, or warmline in Florida only: 800-640-6444;;

While FKC is not a national organization, this magazine has a close working relationship with the Center, which offers comprehensive resources.

Generations United

1331 H St. NW, Suite 900 , Washington, DC 20005 ; 202-289-3979;;

Focused solely on improving the lives of children, youth and older people through intergenerational strategies, programs and public policies.

GrandFamilies of America

National Office: 6525 Fish Hatchery Rd., Thurmont, MD 21788. Toll free 1-866-203-8926, ext. 8103, fax 301-898-4462, cell 301-898-7458;;

The only grandparent organization in the U.S. administered totally by relatives caring for their relative children 24/7. Warmline operated 24/7. Impressive record of successful legislative initiatives across the country. The only grandparent organization staffed by a full-time attorney. Established networking relationships with national associates working in the same field.

Mooseheart Child City & School

Mooseheart , IL 60539 , (p) 630-906-3631; fax 630-859-6630;;

Provides an alternative placement option to grandparents who need temporary residence for the children in their care due to health or other reasons.

The National Association of Former Foster Care Children of America (NAFFCCA)

5505 5th Street NW , Washington, DC ; 202-291-1603;

NAFFCCA provides mentoring, job training, housing and an independent-living program for youths who are aging out of the foster care system.

National Committee of Grandparents for Children’s Rights (NCGCR)

School of Social Welfare/ HSC, Level 2, Rm. 093/Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-8231; (helpline) 866-624-9900;;

The largest nonprofit grandparent organization in the U.S. for grandparent- and relative caregivers as well as those seeking visitation. NCGCR provides legal research, state and federal advocacy, an online support group and a toll-free helpline. NCGCR also works with grandparent organizations around the world to bring a global perspective to relative caregiving.

2) Information on specific states

AARP, in collaboration with several other organizations, has excellent fact sheets on its Web site, covering every state. Includes local resources and key public benefit programs:

New York State Navigator Program

30 N. Clinton Avenue , Rochester, NY 14604 ; 877-4KinInfo (877-454-6463); Fax: 585-454-6286; E-mail:

The Kinship Navigator is a new statewide program operated by Catholic Family Center and is specifically designed to provide information and resources to kinship caregivers across all of New York State.

3) Legal help

American Bar Association


Provides an excellent “Consumer’s Guide to Legal Help” Web site for every state:; click “find legal help,” then click on your state.

Legal Advocates for Permanent Parenting (LAPP)

3182 Campus Drive Suite 175 , San Mateo, CA 94403 ; 650-712-1442;;

Provides self-help legal information, training, consulting, and policy development for caregiver families and their child welfare partners.

State visitation and custody laws

The National Committee of Grandparents for Children’s Rights, NCGCR, has compiled a comprehensive list of state laws/statutes concerning grandparent visitation and custody. To access the links for each state, go to NCGCR’s Web site,, and click on the Resources button on the home page.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Check out these other posts You might also like