- According to the US Census, more than half of all men and women aged 18-24 still live at home.
- The government recently defined “dependant children” as 26 years old or younger (Healthcare law).
- Parents who thought they were done after their kids finished school are facing even more challenges, not know how to handle them! And kids seem more willing than ever to fly back to the nest…
How to Raise Your (Adult) Children
Society is changing when it comes to parenting. And many argue the change is not for the better. Perhaps one of the biggest negative signs is the growing trend that the age of what is considered a “child” or a “dependant” is getting older and older.
And the recession is making it worse! New issues now confront millions of parents who struggle to relate with their adult kids. Though most people (and most advice books) consider parenting a crucial job between infancy and high school, even more crucial issues are confronting the parents who thought they were done once the nest was empty! All over America, millions of parents are asking, What do I do when…
- …My adult kid wants to move back home.
- …My adult kid is asking for bailout money (again).
- …My adult kid is in school…FOREVER.
- …My adult kid is dating her boss.
- …My adult kid is about to marry a bum.
- …My adult-kid is the cheating bum.
- …My adult-kid is getting me to raise their kid.
- …and more.
And now (finally) some collective wisdom! Legendary comedy writer Gail Parent-herself a parent of adult kids-teams up with noted psychologist Susan Ende, MFT to crack wise and dish some brutal common sense in their new book, How to Raise Your Adult Children (Because Big Kids Have Even Bigger Problems).
Tackling the things that we all experience-as hapless parents or adult kids-authors Parent and Ende discuss the biggest parent/kid issues going on today; including Money, Work, Meddling, Dating & Marriage, In Laws and Grandchildren. Written in an easy-to-read Question and Answer format, How to Raise Your Adult Children is a must-have guidebook for all parents!
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
GAIL PARENT is an award-winning writer and producer whose television credits include “The Golden Girls,” “The Tracey Ullman Show,” “The Carol Burnett Show,” and “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.” Also a bestselling novelist, Parent is the author of SHEILA LEVINE IS DEAD AND LIVING IN NEW YORK. She lives in Beverly Hills, CA. (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0661275/)
SUSAN ENDE, M.F.T has been a psychotherapist in private practice for twenty-five years and has taught at California Institute of Technology, Pepperdine University, and California State University at Los Angeles. She lives in Pasadena, CA