BY HONEY GOOD
As we age, our skin needs extra protection and care. Here are the top five things you can do to protect and nourish your skin:
1. Wear sunscreen daily. Yes, we know, it’s trite but it’s also right. Wearing sun screen daily (rain or shine, snow or sun) may not be sexy skincare advice but it’s simply a fail proof way to protect your skin from damage. Today is not too late to start. Now is actually quite perfect.
And if applying sunscreen daily seems like too much work, simply opt for an all-in-one foundation with SPF that will smooth skin while protecting it. We love Miracle Skin Transformer ‘Spotlight’ Broad Spectrum SPF 20 Sunscreen for Face, $48 here. Enhance and protect your skin with Miracle Skin Transformer Spotlight broad spectrum SPF 20 sunscreen for face. It’s a 5-in-1 formula that hydrates, primes, enhances, illuminates and protects skin of all ages.
2. Minimize dryness. You know that as your skin ages, it invariably becomes drier. We aren’t going to bore you with the hows and whys of that fact but rather the here’s what to do about dryness.
Skip hot water as it strips skin of essential oils and exfoliate regularly to get rid of any dry, flaky skin you do have. You can exfoliate manually or chemically. For chemical exfoliation, we swear by Aveda’s Botanical Kinetics Exfoliant, $21 here. Manual exfoliation can be done with a range of products or even an at home DIY mask such as this simple sugar scrub recipe from WellnessMama.
Another at home remedy oft-recommended is massaging and exfoliating the face with a dollop of extra virgin coconut oil applied to a damp, warm washcloth each evening before bed and after cleansing.
3. Botox works. Which doesn’t mean you have to do it but let’s be real here, ladies, it’s effective. We aren’t going to argue the pros and cons but we are going to say this: Botox banishes crow’s feet (and it’s FDA approved to do so) and no amount of cream will do that. So, if your crow’s feet are really bothering you, Botox may be the cure. And you know what the real tip here is . . . HoneyGood.com is a no judgment zone and when it comes to caring for your skin, let your own wishes and beliefs be your guide.
4. Hydrate! You’ve probably already heard that drinking lots of water is the key to great skin. Actually, staying hydrated is crucial but that means much more than just consuming 64 oz. a day of h2o. Here are the top 5 hydrating foods (via Health.com) . . . give them a nibble for great skin.
- Cucumber: 96.7% water
- Iceberg Lettuce: 95.6% water
- Celery: 95.4% water
- Radishes: 95.3% water
- Tomatoes: 94.5% water
5. Retinoids are a must. Which means, if you haven’t already, it’s time to make friends with a great dermatologist and keep her on speed dial. Prescription retinoid formulas contain retinoic acid, an ingredient that fights visible aging. Truly. Request a prescription for Retin-A, one of many retinoids (Vitamin A derivatives) proven, and FDA-approved, to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
And, when all else fails, we turn to the wise words of Lucille Ball, “The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.”
Honey Good is the premier destination for smart, savvy + sassy mature women to laugh and learn together…to empower each other and to celebrate life’s milestones. The site is a tribute to the many titles, we, as women wear and the wisdom we’ve garnered wearing the hat of a wife, mother, friend, sister, daughter, grandmother (Honey, also known as Susan Good) has 20 grandchildren!), teacher, neighbor, and fashionista.