Grandparents are always on the lookout for healthy recipes their grandkids will actually eat. By using some simple substitutions (like whole grain bread) this dessert is actually pretty good for you. Partner it with a cold glass of low-fat milk and enjoy right along with those adorable grandkids!
Apple Bread Pudding
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves: 4 people
Whole grain bread, apples and cinnamon make a sweet dessert that is healthy too. Serve warm and enjoy with a glass of skim or low-fat milk!
Top of Form
- Cooking spray
- 1 whole egg PLUS
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar blend
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves or allspice
- 6 slices light, whole-grain or multigrain bread, cubed
- 3 medium apples, cored, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup of any one of the following: raisins, dried cranberries, fresh or dried blueberries, chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Spray 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, milk, sugar blend, vanilla, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Add bread and apple cubes. Add fruit or nuts if desired. Mix well.
- Pour mixture in to prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes