We grandparents are always looking for healthy recipes that our grandkids will actually eat. This Simple Cooking with Heart recipe is a healthy twist on a kid favorite! It is a simple yet tasty meal that will quickly become a family favorite dinner!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless, visible fat removed chicken breasts, cut into 1’’ strips (or chicken tenderloins)
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup milk (skim)
- 2 Tbsp. low-fat, low-sodium, grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tsp. garlic or onion powder
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, washed, stems discarded
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. minced garlic, from jar
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- On a plate or shallow dish, combine flour and pepper.
- Pour milk into a second shallow dish.
- In another shallow dish, combine parmesan, oats, garlic/onion powder and paprika/parsley (optional: pulse oat mixture in food processor for 20 second for a finer breading).
- One at a time, dip chicken strips into flour and turn to coat. Then dip in milk, and then oat mixture, turning until well coated.
- Place coated strips on to prepared baking sheet.
- Once all strips are on the baking sheet give a light spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden-brown and cooked through. (Optional: If you prefer darker brown ?crisply? tenders, turn on the oven?s broiler for the last 2 minutes but keep an eye on the tenders so they don?t burn!)
- To prepare beans: In a 2-quart microwave-safe dish, place beans, water, garlic and pepper.
- Cover and microwave on high until beans are crisp-tender (6-8 minutes).
- Drain excess liquid.