When You thought…
Here’s a poignant message for every adult because children are always watching us. They occasionally do what we say….but invariably do as we do.
When you thought I wasn’t looking… I saw you…
– Hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I immediately wanted to paint another one.
– Feed a stray cat, and I learned it was good to be kind to animals.
– Bake my favorite cupcakes, and I learned small things can become special memories.
– Prepare a meal and take it to a neighbor who was ill, and I learned that we should take care of one another.
– Give money to help people who have so much less, and I learned that those who have can be generous to those who have needs.
– Treat people with respect no matter their age, color or difference in how they looked, and I learned that showing respect for others is a good way to behave.
– Take care of our home and everyone in it, and I learned we have to be thankful for what we are given.
– Choose foods that were good for us, and I learned that we can live in a healthy way by eating right.
– Drive with careful attention to other drivers without texting or talking on the phone, and I learned that safety in the road means we can come home without being hurt.
– Read books for pleasure, and I learned how important it is to enjoy the thoughts of people who give us their wisdom through words and art.
– Plant a garden and tend it with loving attention, and I learned that the beauty of nature and delicious veggies makes us feel good about ourselves.
– Pick up some trash on the sidewalk, and I learned that we can help keep our world clean despite the careless acts of others.
– Take things to be repaired instead of throwing them away, and I learned that it is better to fix something rather than create more garbage.
– Accept your responsibilities even when you didn’t feel well, and I learned we have to do the right thing when I grow up even if it’s difficult.
– Visit a family who was losing a loved one to give them comfort, and I learned that passing away is a natural part of life.
– Cry with many tears in your eyes, and I learned that sometimes bad things happen which are not in our control and it’s all right to cry.
Everything I watch you do is a life lesson…and I hope to be able to follow your lead and to be a good and productive person when I’m an adult.
Adapted from a poem by Mary Rita Schilke Korazan