My Holiday Emotional Gift Guide
BY JACK LEVINE
Wishing you and loved ones well.
As we approach this holiday season of Hanukah, Christmas and the Kwanzaa cultural celebration, let’s remember that not all gifts are wrapped in shiny paper and decorated with ribbon and bows.
There are many intangible gifts of the heart we can share with those who deserve special recognition and attention…..for who they are, what they do, and the important role they play in our lives.
Here’s my 20-item Emotional Gift Guide which I hope will be meaningful for you in this season of celebration. Please feel free to share this guide with family, friends, and colleagues…with my compliments.
- To yourself….respect, confidence, faith, and fortitude.
- To a family member….communication and understanding, even if there have been relationship challenges.
- To a friend….a heartfelt, caring spirit and appreciation.
- To our natural world, animal and plant life….admiration, protection, and preservation.
- To a good cause….generosity of time and treasure and ardent advocacy.
- To a traveler….an an open door of hospitality.
- To our military forces, first responders and their loved ones….honor, admiration, and support to heal the wounds.
- To the ill and hurting….conscientious concern and comfort.
- To the hungry and homeless….compassion, emergency services, and creative community solutions.
- To the abused, neglected and abandoned….representation, security, and hope.
- To someone with a special challenge….recognition, acceptance and a path to independence.
- To the addicted and troubled….open arms, forgiveness and a positive path to recovery.
- To an infant and toddler….attention, attachment, safety, and learning opportunities.
- To a child or teen….patience, guidance and a positive example through mentoring.
- To a parent in need….a helping hand and guidance.
- To an elder….reverence, gratitude and dignified care.
- To a customer or client….excellent service and lasting value.
- To everyone you see, friends and strangers alike….a warm smile, acts of kindness and positive energy.
- To people of every age….unconditional love and sincere gratitude.
- To all the peoples of the world….justice, and peace.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR – Jack Levine
After a 25-year tenure as president of Voices for Florida’s Children, a statewide advocacy network, Jack founded 4Generations Institute to promote intergenerational policies and programs that benefit the young, their parents, and more experienced family members…..also known as grandparents.
Jack’s expertise is in developing and delivering messages to the media, public officials, and a diverse network of health, education, human services and social justice advocates on the value of preventive investments in children, parent leadership, grandparent activism, and dignified services for elders.
Through public speaking, seminar and workshop leadership, community conversations and opinion columns, Jack shares information, provides inspiration and leverages advocate enthusiasm in the direction of public policy action.
Jack holds a Master’s degree in Child Development and Family Studies from Purdue University and an undergraduate degree in English Literature from Hunter College.
He serves as Partnership Director for GRAND Media, is a member of Generations United and was a founding member of the Board of Voices for America’s Children.
Jack is the GRANDpartnership director for GRAND Magazine – to learn more click here.