Raising children or your grandchild (as over 2 million American grandparents are doing today) with confidence and respect isn’t something that parents have to do by themselves. We grandparents are eager to jump in and play a vital support role.
In that spirit, we’re sharing 25 things to say every day to remind our grandkids how important they are to you.
25 great things to say to GRANDCHILD
1. I love you. I will always try to protect you. There is nothing that will make me stop loving you or stop me from protecting you.
2. You are amazing! I look at you with wonder! Not just at what you can do, but who you are. There is no one like you. No one!
3. It’s all right to cry. People cry for all kinds of reasons: when they are hurt, sad, or worried; when they are angry, afraid, or lonely. Or sometimes when they’re happy! Big people cry too. I do.
4. You’ve made a mistake. People make mistakes. I do. Is it something we can fix? What can we do? You can start fresh. I know you are sorry. I forgive you.
5. You did the right thing to try. That was scary and hard to do. Even though it wasn’t easy, you tried. I am proud of you; you should be too.
6. I’m sorry. Forgive me. I made a mistake. People of all ages make mistakes.
7. You can change your mind. It’s good to decide, but it is also fine to change.
8. What a great idea! You were really thinking! How did you come up with that? Tell me more. Your mind is clever!
9. That was kind. You did something helpful and thoughtful for that person. That must make you feel good inside. Thank you!
10. I have a surprise for you, even though it’s not your birthday. It’s for no reason at all.
11. I can wait. We have time. You don’t have to hurry this time.
12. What would you like to do? It’s your turn to pick. You have great ideas. It’s important to follow your special interests.
13. Tell me about it. I’d like to hear more. And then what happened? I’ll listen.
14. I’m right here. I won’t leave without saying goodbye. I am watching you. I am so happy to be here with you.
15. Please and Thank You. These are important words. If I forget to use them, will you remind me?
16. I missed you. I think about you when we are not together!
17. Just try. A little bit. One taste. You might like it.
18. I’ll help you. I heard you call me, here I am. How can I help you? If we both work together, we can get this done. I know you can try to do it by yourself, but I’m glad to help since you asked.
19. What do you wish for? Even if it’s not yet time for birthday candles, it’s still fun to hear about what you wish for, hope for, and dream about.
20. If you need to talk to me about anything, I’ll listen. I promise.
21. Let’s be sure to pick up after ourselves and not waste any food, water, energy or other valuable resources.
22. Being kind and polite to everyone we meet is one way to be an example of how we want others to treat us.
- People who are different from us deserve as much respect as we expect for being different from them. Differences are what make us unique and interesting.
- Beauty is more inside us than how we look on the outside.
- Older people deserve to be listened to for their wisdom of life’s experiences. We can learn so much from other people’s life stories.
JOIN THE GRAND CLUB HERE – WWW.READGRAND.COM